On a typical stormy Manitoba summer night in July 2011, our first Underdog Annie was found abandoned and scared on the side of the highway near Brokenhead First Nations. She was immediately brought to a veterinary hospital and unfortunately tested positive for heartworm and lyme disease. A garage sale was organized by our fearless leaders to cover the costs of Annie’s treatment. From this one act of rescue, Manitoba Underdogs was born!
Manitoba Underdogs Rescue is a registered charity and non-profit organization. We are 100% volunteer run and foster-home based. Our mission is to rescue, rehabilitate, care for, and ultimately seek out permanent and loving homes for Manitoba’s unwanted animals.
- Work alongside Manitoban communities to bring dogs in need into care.
- Provide the highest level of foster and veterinary care to all dogs in our foster and adoption programs.
- Maintain a safe and welcoming community for our volunteers, fosters, adopters and partners.
- Provide advice and support to fosters and adopters with the goal of maintaining successful relationships between dog and owner.
- Partner with local organizations to help control animal population in Manitoba.
We would like to thank all of our board members, volunteers, fosters, adopters and friends for their support. Since 2011, Underdogs has rescued over 700 dogs. Without the continued support, we wouldn’t be able to help the many dogs in need.
For Your Interest
Did you know?
- Manitoba Underdogs is Winnipeg’s only charitable all-breed rescue.
- Our foster program cares for 25-35 dogs (and the occasional cat!) at any given time.
- Every adoptable is cared for in a loving, supporting foster family until adoption.
- We operate solely on the donations of our kind supporters.
- Our adoption program handles 20-25 adoptions monthly with over 700 animals rescued to date.